(1) What will you study in the United States? What do you want to study in USA?
I will study for my PhD degree in Public Policy and Management at the Heinz School at
Carnegie Mellon University.
(2) Why do you go to Carnegie Mellon University? Why do you choose this University? Why
do you go to this University?
Carnegie Mellon University is one of the best universities in the United States; The Heinz
school ranks first in the area of Public Policy and Management I’ll study for my PhD degree
(3) What is your purpose to USA? What will you do in USA? What are you going to do in the
United States? Are you going to study in USA?
Yes…;I will study for my PhD degree at the Heinz School of Public Policy and Management at
Carnegie Mellon University.
(4) What is your major?
I’ll study in the area of Public Policy and Management at Carnegie Mellon University;
(5) In what aspect of your major will you study?
Supply Chains Management.
(6) Can you say something about it? What is it? What is it for?
Supply-chain management is a generic term that encompasses the coordination of order
generation, taking, and fulfillment and distribution of products, services, or information; It is
critical, not only to the success, but also to the survival of any firm As a discipline, supply
chains management draws on the fields of management science, statistics, operations
research and economics.
(7) When and where did you get your Bachelor and Master degree?
I got my Bachelor degree at Peking University in; and I just got my master degree at Tsinghua
(8) What are you studying now? Where are you studying now? What are you doing now?
I was studying at Tsinghua University My major is Management Science and Engineering I
did some research in Supply Chains Management I’ve just got my master degree.
(9) What did you do with your Master work?
I took fifteen courses, did some research on Supply Chains Management I just finished my
master thesis and I have several academic publications.
(10) How long will you study in USA?
The Doctoral Program is designed to be completed in six years I hope I could get my PHD in
five years**Why it needs six years? As you may know, Carnegie Mellon University is one of
the best in the United States The Heinz School ranks first in the area of Public Policy and
Management It has strict requirement to us students; I think that’s why this doctoral program
needs six years.
(11) Have you got any scholarship?
Yes I’ve been honored a full tuition scholarship and a stipend If I remain in good academic
standing, the Heinz school will renew my award of full financial support.
(12) What if you do not have financial award for the sixth year?
The department told me, if I remain in good academic standing, the Heinz School will renew
my award of full financial support I am a good student, and I don’t think I’ll encounter any
problem in receiving such financial support And even if I haven’t financial aid in the sixth year
of my study, my person al saving at that time will be enough to cover all of my expense. 2
(13) What will you do with your work for this PhD?
I’ll take courses for the first two years, and then conduct dissertation research in the area of
Supply Chains Management for the following years.
(14) What is your purpose for the visa?
I need F-one visa in order to study for my PhD degree at Carnegie Mellon University.
(15) What is your academic background?
I got my Bachelor degree at Peking University in I just got my Master degree at Tsinghua
University My earlier work was in Economics and my current work is in Management Science
and Engineering My future research at Carnegie Mellon University will still be interdisciplinary.
(16) How do you know this University?
I got to know it from US NEWS Carnegie Mellon University has good reputation The Heinz
School ranks first in the area of Public Policy and Management.
(17) What is your plan? What will you do after graduation?
What do you plan to do when you go back? I will come back and seek a teaching and
research position in a leading business school in China.
(18) Give me three reasons that you will come back to China?
The first reason is I’ll take care of my parents* They will one day become old I can not leave
them alone The second reason is, I think it is much easier to find an academic position in
China than in the States* I believe I will have a bright future in China The third reason is I
would like to contribute what I have learned to my country.
(19) If you cannot find such a position, what will you do?
If so, I will turn to my second choice I would like to find a research position in our government
you know, there are some research centers in our government.
(20) What will your salary be then?
About 10 thousand RMB Yuan per month.
(21) How much can a professor earn?
As far as I know, many professors in Tsinghua University earn 10 thousand RMB per month
You know, the salary of professors is rising now.
(22) Why won’t you stay in the States?
It’s not my country.
(23) Can you explain why 90% Chinese students didn’t come back? Really?
If really so, I think everyone has its own reasons; But as far as I know, these years, more and
more students have chosen to come back after graduation As to me, I’ll definitely come back
I’ll l take care of my parents, and I think it’s much easier to find an academic position in China
than in the States.
(24) Can you promise that you will not be attracted?
Yes, and that’s sure China is my motherland.
(25) Why do you like your major?
I love problem driven research. I like to spend a considerable amount of time working on
problems in Supply Chains Management.
(26) Why do you choose US but not Canada or Germany?
Because the United States has the most advanced technology and science in the world. I
would like to pursue a PhD degree in the United States but not in any other country. 3
(27) Why do you want to pursue a doctor’s degree in the USA?
A Ph.D. degree will help me to achieve my career goal. **I would like to become a professor
in a leading business school in China, and I am sure that a Ph.D. degree in the USA will help
me to achieve my career goal.
(28) Why not a Ph.D. degree in China?
I’ve got my Bachelor degree at Peking University and Master degree at Tsinghua University.
So, it’s quite reasonable for me to peruse my Ph.D. degree in the United States. You know,
the United States has the most advanced technology and science in the world.
(29) Why do you receive financial aid from this University? Why can you get scholarship?
Why this university gave you the aid (funding)?
I am a good student. As you may see from my documents, I have a Bachelor degree in
Economics and Master degree in Management Science. I think such academic background
should match the program very well.
(30) What’s the difference between your current major and the major in USA?
Now I major in Management Science and Engineering at Tsinghua University, and I’ll
continue to study in this area at Carnegie Mellon University. I don’t think there are too many
differences between the two majors.
(31) When and where did you take the GRE test? When did you take the TOEFL test? How
much is your TOEFL score?
I took my GMAT test on **.The score is **.I took my TOEFL test on ***and the score is ***.
(32) Where will you live?
I’ll live in the dormitory of Carnegie Mellon University. I’ve applied for the dormitory.
(33) Where do you live?
I am living in the dormitory at Tsinghua University.
(34) How many universities have you applied? Which?
I have applied for 5 universities They are Carnegie Mellon University, Harvard University,
Stanford University, Duke University and UCLA.
(35) Any other school admits you? So how many universities accept you?
Among the five universities I have applied for, three gave me offers. They are Carnegie
Mellon University, Duke University and UCLA. But I chose Carnegie Mellon University in the
(36) What kind of good things do you know about America?
America has the most advanced technology and science in the world.
(37) What is your best/worst quality?
(38) What is your favorite American movie?
Forest Gamp Forest Gamp loves Jenny. I have never seen such a man who can love a girl so
(39) What do you do in your spare time? What’s your funny? Why?
Swimming. I love swimming very much I believe it will keep me in good shape.
(40) Which is your favorite restaurant (cafe)? What food do you like to eat?
(41) Can you talk something about the course XX?
Would you please see my transcripts and some information on graduate program bulletin?
(42) What is your favorite pet (animal)? Why?
I have no pet now. But if I have time, I would like to have a dog. Dog is honest.
(43) What is the thing you like best in America?
The United States has the most advanced technology and science in the world.
(44) What is the thing you like best in China?
(45) What is the thing you don’t like most in China?
Environment Pollution. Each nation has its best and worst I love my country.
(46) Who do you know there? Have you ever been in America before? Have you ever been to
other countries? Have you ever gone abroad?
(47) When are you going to enter US?
(48) Any relative in the US?
My **** is studying for his PhD degree in the United States.
(49) Did you applied for the ** University?
No, I haven’t. *** University is not so good as Carnegie Mellon University in the area of Public
Policy and Management.
(50) Have you applied for the F-two visa? Why didn’t you apply for the F-two visa last year?
No, I haven’t. I did want to see my dear ***, but I wanted to finish my Master’s program first,
which I promised and I enjoyed.
(51) Will your husband (wife) change to Carnegie Mellon University?
No. I understand him/her. We do want to live together, but he/she will finish hi s/her doctoral
program first, which he/she has promised and loves very much